Monday, January 25, 2010

A storm proof critter home

How well the new acrylic critter home perform in a big storm? After several days of winter storm, we do the clean up. The critter home is of course dry no matter what. It's plastic in a raised platform that cannot possibly be flooded.

I had Velcro attached to bubble wrap sheet to cover the windows, so that it can be taken off easily like a window. My wife used to tear them off straight away if I use duck tapes - too ugly. The Velcro fell off in the storm, so I have to use the wooden door to cover the open windows. The door was covered by bubble wrap sheet only, without the wooden door.

Some cardboard used to cover the windows fell off. I used tapes on top of them to make them water proof. It's obviously not enough.

Now everything should be hosed off. So cardboard should go. Now that my wife don't tear duck tape anymore, I use duck tape to seal all windows, covered with double or triple layer of bubble wrap sheets.

Cleaning up the sticky poop on the plastic and around the cage is too much work. So I decided that everything should be hosed clean in place. I drilled an opening at the outer cage corner. I attached a 1" diameter PVC pipe as the drain guide, with height about 0.5". Actually I glued the guide before I drill small holes through it and then knock out an opening. The drain will be covered with a 1" PVC cap when not in use. The whole cage is now raised about ground on 2" high wooded frame to accommodate the drain.

The option is to put the drain over a big bucket during cleaning. I may also fit pipes to carry the waste water to some paved area with drainage, or composing hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment