Saturday, May 18, 2013

Food grade instant insect killers for flying and crawling bugs

It is well known that diluted soapy solution kills ants instantly.  It works well for other crawling insects.  Spiders can't run away when it is slippery all around them.  When bugs can't escape, it's up to you how to kill them.  There are organic liquid soaps too so you can use food grade insecticides around food, pets and people.

I would think soapy solution works well for flying insects.  But no.  The first hit will slow down a fly a bit.  You need a few more hits to ground them.  They can recover once dried.  So you have to kill them using other chemicals.  70% Rubbing alcohol is very effective.  Just a drop or two you can see their body twisted into a mess in seconds.  So a food grade killer will be Vodka.  It doesn't smell like vinegar.  It's easier to find than citric acid powders.  No residue.  It is actually a cleaner.  It is also not new, just that I haven't come across it because I wasn't looking.  I haven't yet find out how much dilution is still effective.

So for flying insects, I now use rubbing alcohol while not in the kitchen and Vodka otherwise.  Also for spiders.  Just one hit and you can kill them.

I used to spray lawn insect killers.  Brain washed.  There are no insects that eat grass that much.  And if there are, they are most welcomed since I do not need to mow the grass that often.  Ants don't live on lawns as long as it is regularly watered.  They also don't get across lawns if there are no reasons to.  Every year ants from the hills and neighbours all come to feast on the palm fruits/seeds.  I don't bother anymore as I don't need them.  If I remember I will cut and discard the fruits/seeds first.

They also come for the fruit trees.  But my fruits are so big and the tree so tall I don't eat all of them.  Some rots and some birds got them.  Ants really don't consume that much in comparison.  I don't even notice.

Fill cracks and voids with whatever you got, sand, lime, soil, glue, proper repair compounds.  It is much more sensible than spraying.  Anything that can be sprayed outdoors and claimed to be remaining effective outdoors for months are biochemical warfare that I won't touch.  Even worse if the claims are indoors where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment