Friday, December 13, 2013

Mulching fallen leaves on lawn

This is another "why I didn't thought of that" moment.  I was brain washed into racking up the leaves, and put them in the green collection bin.  That is a lot of work and last many weeks for all leaves to fall.

I didn't know what triggered me to search how to deal with fallen leaves.  Indeed I didn't remember what I was searching.  I agree that mulching fallen leaves save a lot of resources.

Just happened that my 1st season small battery mower had a mulching attachment.  I only know that it is for grass, and I use it a lot out of laziness.  I also use the grass chip collection bag because it is convenient too.  At the front yard, mulching the grass cuttings may spread the chippings into the sidewalk.  There's more work to clean up.

My mulching attachment is to keep the grass chips in a loop around the blades, instead of allowing them to go out into the bag.  The grass are cut finer and drop back onto the ground.

Leaves look very different from grass so I doubted.  When I mow the fallen leaves, I was impressed.  The leaves are palm sized, dried and brittle.  One pass over the yellow leaves, the pile is gone leaving a green path.  I can still small dots under the short grass.  But instead of a very yellow pile, the ground turns green with barely visible yellow dots at an angle.

It's easier than mowing.  You can easily see where the leaves are done.  My mower isn't that big so the lesser the overlapping passes, the more effort are saved.  But my small mower is very good at manoeuvring to get to the leaves.  Even for a big pile (by nature) you can still see the lawn after all leaves are mulched. 

Now I can just mulch the leaves when I mow the lawn as soon as the leaves fall.  I don't need to wait for sufficient leaves to pile up before raking.

No comments:

Post a Comment