Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Household Hazadous Waste Collection Center visited

I always wanted to go to the HHW to dump my waste, but I left them in the garage instead.

I used to have absolete mercury thermostat nicely packaged in a safe place in the garage , but my wife throw it away in the trash before I could dump them. I had two old fire extinguisher that do not have enough pressure. I had a few empty camp butane gas tank, and soldering butane gas tank. I know they can be recycled but few collect them.

Some empty aerosols, like WD-40. Some solvents like PVC cements.

A lot of batteries. A lot of places take them but I have faulty car startup battery station. And battery in tooth brushes.

I have a lot of old chargers for everything. Nobody seem to want them and state them as electronic waste. Nobody wants electric cords either. But I know some collect them.

The urgency is that I have some car fluids since I do everything myself, or trying to. I had a little overflown brake fluid. I hate to keep that little bit for years.

I tries to build a good relationship with my local auto store. I brought oil from them and took oil back to recycle. But that little shop is good at internet catalog, but bad in recycling. I have to take my container and walk through the front door, then walk to the back of the store and pour the oil into a large tank. It's impossible for a 5 gallon tank which doubles as a oil collection tray. Pouring the oil back to the container and leave the whole bottle seems better. But I do not know if they can keep the bottle.

Also they do not recycle oil filter. Few does. Some mechanics shop do but they don't sell anything, only service, that I am trying to replace. The auto store that recycle oil filter cans is a couple of miles further away. They also have the oil filters that I wanted.

But when I dropped off my child at school, the HHW collection center is only 5 more miles away, not a lot further than the other shop. The trip will cost me less than $2 for the SUV. It's best if I bring my oil and filter there to recycle or dump.

It was a scenic route, even though the occasional traffic are all waste collection trucks. Only at the end are dirt path full of dust. I followed the map but went into a green waste collection point instead. I asked for direction and got further a little to the end of the road.

As advertised, the center is well signed posted. When I stopped at the stop sign, two technicians immediately came out to take my stuff. I just sat in the car to fill a simple form of my name address and phone number. When I finished the box at the back of my SUV is gone, and I was all ready to go.

But really you need a yard or garage, or both, to be able to visit the HHWCC. If you live in an apartment, you have no place to store the oil after you changed the oil. You have no place to store oil smelly cans like WD-40, and rusty things like old butane tanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment